Wednesday 5 October 2011

What questions do I have about the readings so far?

Frankly, there has been one question that has been tormenting me for this past week. Do not worry, it is not about any computing topic or physics - surprisingly enough, it comes from a field I regarded as an 'unnecessary' science. I always thought of this field as an 'easy-going industry' where people just sit and converse in very complex, freudish vocabulary and convince their clients that depression is so fatal that you need to spend thousands(if not millions) in order to be 'helped'. This is how far I will go for now. However, my question still retains its origins from this field. Thanks to Tafadzwa for inspiring this question concerning the Placebo effect.

If you do not know what the placebo effect is, too bad! If I were you, I would use the power of Google and find out. I know some of you are wondering what this question is, if you are not - then please kindly find another blog to read because this one is definitely not in your scope. If you are still here, here goes: "Can we heal our sicknesses and cure ourselves by simply thinking that we are getting better? Are psychological effects so powerful and effective that they can render biological killers(viruses) harmless? Is it possible to sickness-proof yourself using your mind? Is the human mind so deadly that it can initiate physical change?" All these questions funnel down to how powerful the human mind really is? Let us think about this for a moment.

If I can consciously convince myself(I'm sure psychology has a word to describe it) that there is nothing wrong with me even if I am suffering from a serious illness that looks likely to kill me; the placebo effect implies that  I can actually survive. Now, let us look at it from a proactive view. Imagine training your mind so that it is immune to infection or illnesses. I know many biologists and doctors will argue and fight with me for equating psychology to biology(two different fields). I mean if you can get better by just thinking that you feel better then why can't you think(convince yourself) that no infection/illness can enter your system. Just like in math(since almost everything can be expressed mathematically), if the theorem is true, then the converse is likely to be true. This does not end here...

What do psychologists and biologists have to say about martial arts masters who can focus their "Chi"(energy) onto a specific body parts that it resists the piercing forces of spears. Even more impressive, some people pull heavy vehicles with their skins, ears and other body parts. What makes them more superior - is it a biological or psychological quality? And these people who move objects with their minds...

Honestly, I do not know any of the answers to these questions. However, I do know one thing which is: WE ARE DECEIVING OURSELVES! I believe there is a world out there, where our thoughts will command the physical things in this world. The complicated math that we use every day to solve our problems is one example out of many.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment