Thursday 1 December 2011

Reflection: Presentation - AI - Can sociable computers become a reality?

23rd November 2011.

This day ranks among the top 5 frightening moments in my life. I do not think that I can come up with adjectives to describe how terrified I was.

Starting from the beginning, I only knew that I was making the opening presentation at 5:20 pm when the whole thing started 10 minutes later. If Mr Scudder, Mr Tago, John and Alexis were called upon to testify ; I would surely serve multiple life sentences for being worried about making a presentation. When I look back at all of this, I realize that I used so much energy and brain power worrying about nothing.

Worrying for nothing! I am sure most of you can attest to this feeling of apprehension. Just imagine all of this happened ten minutes before the actual presentations. How exciting, don’t you think?

Somehow, when I got on the stage, my fear was crushed by the instant excitement of talking to an audience about AI or as I recently discovered, affective computing.

Above all, I enjoyed this mixed experience I had before making a presentation [Not being aware that I was the first presenter, opening the floor].

What Did I Learn?
  • As much as I preach using artificial intelligence to optimize crowd sourcing, I only practised it the day before the presentation. Getting random people’s opinions and advice makes presentations things better.
  • Let me give gratitude where it is due. Linda Rebeiz helped me finalize the symmetrical features of my presentation. In other words, Linda explained to me the importance of symmetry in a presentation and how non-symmetric features may distract the audience. Thanks to her, she helped me make a fair presentation. If you ever need a crash course on making power point presentations; dump your ego, carry boldness and kindly request a lesson from Linda.
  •  simplicity and Relevance are an essential component of a presentation. Make it as simple as possible so that even a computer phobic can understand all the zeros and ones you are talking about. Secondly, use current, relevant examples which are applicable to the audience. It is much easier to achieve understanding through simplicity and relevance.
  • Do not underestimate or overestimate yourself. You never know what you can actually do if you do not try. I was terrified at first, but most of the audience could not pinpoint any signs of fear during my presentation.
  • Examples, Examples, Examples. They work trust me. Everyone understands examples
  • Build confidence through randomly talking to people about your presentation/topic. That is how I actually prepared for the presentation, no mirrors but actual people. The reason I recommend using people as models is that you do not see yourself during a presentation (as you would in a mirror), but you see a large group of people. You will also familiarise yourself with facial expressions, body language and eye movement. These human signals will help you to have real-time control of your presentation (react if people are bored) rather than relying on a memorized presentation.
  •  Respect time.

·         There is more, but I hope you have learnt something by reading what I have learnt.

What Can I Do Better?
  •  Plan better. Respect the time allocated.
  • Have a focal point. Focus on what you really have to.
  • Engage the audience.
  • Do not talk too much. You can easily lose the audience if your topic is complex. Give people a break so that something can sink in.
  • Less is better. Succinct, specific and simple is always a good guideline to follow.


I think I have shared all that I recalled, heard and noticed.

Now, imagine this:

“Your computer could sympathize with you during difficult times by reminding you of the good times (through family/friends pictures or your most favourite song). Computers that can assist you if you having trouble finding something on it. Communicating with it like a best friend. Tell it your secrets, worries and desires. You can ask it human-like questions, it will respond with human advice. It will know when you are angry, sad or happy. It can affect your emotions/mood positively. An electrically wired human being made up of zeros and ones.”

At the end of the day, we have computers that will experience, understand and affect emotions in human beings. How awesome is that?

Tune in to the next post because you will be marveled...

No comments:

Post a Comment